Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Bath, Books, Bedtime

Our little guy has been with us for 5 hours and he's already stolen my heart.  

I spent yesterday emailing back and forth with our FRW.  She was tying up all the last minute details and keeping me posted the whole time.  We were told R would be coming either yesterday or today. The paperwork stuff didn't fall together in time so we ended up waiting until today.  Everything started all over first thing morning.  More emails back and forth and then finally. . . the phone call from our FRW.  "You're approved!"  I was so excited that I almost cried. I was driving down 91 South and almost pulled over.  She let us know that she was going to talk to R's social worker and that I should expect a call from her.

I called Justin to let him know the news.  We were officially foster parents.  We are foster parents. We talked about being home by 3:15ish so we'd have some time before he arrived at 4:15. I hung up with Justin and continuing driving to my office.  I made it almost into the parking lot and my phone started ringing.  It was R's social worker.  Despite being in the right line to pull into my office's parking lot I switched lanes and pulled into the parking lot across the street.  Apparently this was a conversation for the Walgreen's parking lot.

I was only on the phone with the SW for a short time, but I let her know that a ton of questions to ask her when she brought him to us.  The next couple of hours are  blur.  So much happened - phone calls, getting things at work organized (haha), figuring out an unexpected flat tire on Justin's car, and eventually getting home.

We did some last minute stuff - installing the highchair, getting some toys out, and installing the car seat. You know, nothing major.  The SW pulled into the driveway and I had to restrain myself from running out the door and looking like a total crazy person.  I patiently waited for her to come to the door.  R arrived and immediately changed our lives. 

Justin and I are no longer two people living our own life.  I don't want to sound dramatic, but I already feel like there is someone way more important sleeping in our house tonight.  (Just don't tell the dogs I said that)  I'm already looking forward to waking up tomorrow morning and seeing his (hopefully) smiley face.  I want to hear his giggle and see what else he likes to eat.  This is the best adventure I have ever been on.  I'm not naive. I know part of this excitement is the "first parent" honeymoon phase, but that's okay.  I'm okay being that crazy first-time parent.  A few years ago I didn't think I would ever get to have these first moments.  Smelling his hair fresh out the bath, reading a book, singing him to bed, and listening at the door to make sure he'd fallen asleep.  

I cannot wait for tomorrow.  


2 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful! Very well written! Im very excited for you and your husband! Many blessings to you all! R is one lucky little man! Much love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill! We really feel blessed that he's come into pur lives. I think we are the lucky ones!

      Delete

Fostering Our Family Tree: Hello. DCF Calling!!

Fostering Our Family Tree: Hello. DCF Calling!! : I got a call from my FRW at 3:40 on Friday night - the Friday before July 4th weekend. Her...